Product Development: Product development is multidimensional. It involves
- Understanding the evolution of design and its spectrum
- Understanding product attributes, function, and emotion
- Introduction to design research and Product Analysis – diachronic, synchronic
- Sustainability in design and its importance
- Understanding bionics and nanotechnology in design
Material Behavior and Processes
- Understanding material behavior, their chemical properties
- The processes applied and limitations
- Molding, thermoplastics, 3D Printing, Clay, Composites, etc.
- Variations in strength and structure of each material
- the concept of system design in product design
- Analysis of MME system design
- how to assess the interface design
- The human factor in design, body dimensions, and its application in design
- Design from the viewpoint of biomechanics
- Work posture analysis
- Static and dynamic work
- The visual, auditory, and thermal environment and their impact on the design
- Universal design for people-with-disabilities
Product Interface Design
- Focusing on the study of form and function and ergonomic requirements
- Developing interfaces and different interactions
- Understanding of user-centered participatory design
- Prototyping techniques.
Semantics: In this module, different theories of product semantics are taught focussing on a logical design approach to come to a meaningful product.
- Taxonomy of objects as an analytical as well as a generative tool
- The influencing factors for product form are modeled to include the concept of product identity.
- The approach is used to discuss new issues faced in the global markets and ends by suggesting how bi-cultural identities can be consciously developed through product form.
Design Management: This module will enable students to have designer and entrepreneurial attributes
- How to set up a design office/ start-up
- Marketing and branding, funding, legislative procedure, financial and government policies
- professionalism and ethics, management of design process, patents and IP registrations
Craft Appreciation: This module helps students to work and understand the culture from the grassroots level of artisans and craftsmen.
- Craft as a means to explore material, process, and form
- Study of Form ceramics, bamboo, stone, wood, and other material
- Indian craft traditions with design intervention and its application for contemporary society
Design Research: In this module, students do extensive research and present an insightful report. With continuous engagement with their professors and industry, they explore and apply new solutions, new materials, and media.