Psychology is the field of study that deals with human and animal behaviour. Psychology as a discipline has found its application in various fields like education, health, industries, sports, forensic and so on, due to which the subject attracts a large number of people interested in understanding and learning about human behaviour in social, cultural and emotional contexts.
The programme provides comprehensive training in all the major fields of modern psychology and emphasizes research that is sensitive to social and cultural influences and concerns.
Keeping pace with the advancement in the field, the programme is designed to help learn about relevance and functioning of psychology at individual and social levels. The curriculum focuses on enabling the students to acquire specialized knowledge, inculcating relevant attitude, values and a sense of empowerment. It also helps students get familiarized with a plurality in perspectives, pedagogy and their implications. The programme has enough scope that allows students to nurture their academic interests in specialized domains of psychology, along with the quest for personal growth. The curriculum has been designed keeping the inter-disciplinary and multi-disciplinary approach into consideration. Another important aspect of this curriculum is to enable students to establish an interface with industries and organizations working in varied domains, such as hospitals, NGOs, corporate sectors etc. Also, there is a lot of emphasis on practical training/internship and fieldwork. The courses in the curriculum are designed to provide a strong knowledge base and skills to the students through interactive lectures, seminars, presentations, discussions, experiential exercises, projects and peer mentoring.
The selection of teaching methodology and topics for research and field training are based on contemporary issues such as stress and health, ageing, drug abuse, community mental health, disability, and rehabilitation, etc.
The curriculum also includes psychological measurement which is an important aspect of psychology and which involves study and development of various standardized tests and scales that it enables to measure psychological entities such as; intelligence, personality, attitude, aptitude, adjustment, self-concept and so on.
Click here to download the programme structure for MA Psychology at Rishihood.
The aim of this programme is:
- to provide the learners with a sound knowledge base in psychology and human behaviour through an in-depth investigation into a broad range of psychological techniques and skills as applied to diverse settings
- to enable the learners to acquire the knowledge of why human beings behave the way they do and gain practical skills to identify, understand, predict and modify human thinking, innate talents and behaviour for the benefit of the individual as well as the society
- to train the students to identify emotional, behavioural and psychological issues as well as specific disorders
- to inculcate in learners values like compassion, analytical thinking, ethical responsibility and patience which can further help in their own development and shaping of their personality
- to emphasize research that is sensitive to social and cultural influences and concerns
- to create a healthy interface between society, culture and higher education in the context of psychology teaching, learning and research
- to enable the students to acquire professional skills that empower them to gain employment as well as contribute towards the well-being of other individuals and promote harmony in the society
The programme provides graduates with endless opportunities.
There are a number of fields where these graduates can make a successful career. Such fields are of health psychology, sports psychology, educational psychology, school counselling, industrial psychology, social work, and counselling psychology.
They can work in different sectors like in defence forces, prisons, advertising industry, vocational rehabilitation centres, community mental health centres, urban planning, forensics, personnel administration, corporate training sector, public relation departments, research organizations, in media and so on. Besides this, the graduates can go for research and pursue a PhD.