Fashion design is a growing industry with many opportunities for designers. The fashion industry is expanding rapidly in India, and there is a growing demand for fashion designers. The retail trade industry is also expected to grow, which will increase the demand for fashion designers in the near future. The industry is constantly changing due to technology and consumer preferences. This makes fashion design a dynamic and exciting career choice.
The Bachelor in Fashion Design is an exciting and comprehensive program that delves deep into the world of fashion and equips students with the knowledge and skills necessary to thrive in this dynamic industry. This course typically spans over three to four years and covers a wide range of subjects, including fashion history, textile science, garment construction, pattern making, fashion illustration, and trend analysis.
Bachelor of Fashion Design Course Details
Upon completion of the Bachelor in Fashion Design, graduates are well-prepared to pursue careers as fashion designers, stylists, apparel merchandisers, or even start their own fashion labels, making a lasting impact on the ever-evolving fashion landscape. Let’s delve into the Bachelor of Fashion Design course details!
Bachelor in Fashion Design Eligibility
To be eligible for a Bachelor of Fashion Design degree, students must meet the following criteria:
- Pass the 10+2 examination or equivalent in any stream from a recognised board.
- Have a minimum of 50% aggregate marks.
- Have a minimum score of 50% in the general category and 55% for the SC/SC/OBC category at the 10+2 level.
- Qualify for the entrance exam for the college or university they select.
- Admission to the Bachelor in Fashion Design is based on merit or performance in entrance exams such as the NIFT Entrance Exam, AIEED, and NID DAT.
Bachelor of Fashion Design Subjects
The syllabus for a Bachelor in Fashion Design program can vary from one institution to another, but here is a general outline of the typical subjects and courses that students might encounter during their studies:
Year 1: Foundation Courses
- Fashion Fundamentals
- Fashion Sketching and Illustration
- Introduction to Textiles
- Pattern Making and Garment Construction
- Fashion History and Theory
- Colour Theory and Application
- Computer-Aided Design (CAD) for Fashion
- Sewing Techniques
Year 2: Intermediate Courses
- Draping and Advanced Garment Construction
- Fashion Drawing and Illustration Techniques
- Textile Science and Fabric Manipulation
- Fashion Design Process and Portfolio Development
- Fashion Marketing and Merchandising
- Trend Analysis and Forecasting
- Fashion Photography and Styling
- Fashion Retailing and Brand Management
Year 3: Advanced Courses
- Couture and Tailoring
- Sustainable Fashion Design
- Advanced Pattern Making and Draping
- Fashion Collection Development
- Entrepreneurship in Fashion
- Internship or Industry Project
- Fashion Law and Ethics
- Portfolio Presentation and Exhibition
Year 4 (Optional): Specialisation and Electives
In the final year, students may have the option to choose specialisations or electives based on their interests and career goals. Specialisations could include areas such as:
- Fashion Accessories Design
- Bridal and Eveningwear Design
- Menswear Design
- Fashion Styling and Editorial
- Sustainable Fashion Practices
- Fashion Technology and Innovation
- Fashion Show Participation
- Final Thesis or Project
Some programs also incorporate workshops, seminars, and industry visits to provide students with a well-rounded education and exposure to the fashion industry. Students are often encouraged to develop a strong portfolio throughout their studies, as this is crucial for entering the competitive fashion design field.
Bachelor of Fashion Design Fees
The fees for a Bachelor of Fashion Design program in India can vary significantly depending on the institution, location, and reputation of the fashion school.
- Government Institutes: Government institutes offer Bachelor of Fashion Design programs at a relatively lower cost compared to private institutions. The fees at government institutes can vary from around INR 30,000 to INR 2 lakhs per year, depending on the chosen institute and category of admission (general or reserved category).
- Private Institutes: Private institutes can have higher tuition fees. These fees can range from INR 2 lakhs to INR 8 lakhs or more per year. Some of the more prestigious and renowned private fashion schools may have even higher fees.
Many institutions, both public and private, offer scholarships and financial aid to eligible students based on merit or need. Above all, in addition to tuition fees, students should also budget for other expenses, including materials for design projects, textbooks, accommodation, and living expenses. These costs may vary widely depending on the institution’s location and students’ lifestyle.
Design Your Future with the Bachelor of Design Program at Rishihood University
The School of Creativity at Rishihood University offers a Bachelor in Design program that extends over four years, offering a foundational undergraduate experience tailored for those with creative inclinations. It cultivates critical thinking, practical skills, and immersion in the latest advancements within the design domain.
What sets Rishihood’s Bachelor in Design program apart is its distinctive interdisciplinary approach, providing students with a wide array of minors and elective courses spanning fields such as artificial intelligence, psychology, entrepreneurship, public leadership, healthcare, sustainability, and more. This diverse exposure enhances your capacity to apply design principles effectively in real-world contexts, aligning with our mission to equip you for practical design application.
Courses Under B.Des Fashion & Textile Design at RU:
- Fashion Cultures & History
- Fashion Imaging & Illustration
- Fashion Design Technology
- Fashion Innovative Design Development
- Fashion Psychology
- Fashion & Textile Futures
Pursuing a B.Design in Fashion and Textile at Rishihood University promises an enriching journey into the dynamic realms of fashion and textiles. With a curriculum crafted to foster creativity, technical expertise, and a holistic understanding of the industry, students are equipped with the tools to transform their passion into a thriving career. Get in touch with Rishihood University to learn about the Bachelor of Fashion Design course details and embark on a path that leads to endless possibilities in the fascinating world of fashion and textiles.