Introduction to Kashmir Shaivism is a one-day workshop that introduces participants to the core concepts and practices of this ancient philosophy. Kashmir Shaivism is a non-dualistic tradition that emphasizes the essential unity of all things and the liberation of the individual consciousness from the limitations of ego and separation.
During the workshop participants will learn about the Kashmir Shaivism cosmology including the five elements the three gunas and the various levels of consciousness. They will explore the concept of Shiva-Shakti the dynamic interplay between the masculine and feminine energies that underlie all creation. Participants will also delve into the practices of Kashmir Shaivism including mantra repetition meditation and visualization.
The workshop will include a blend of lecture-style presentations guided meditations and group discussions. Participants will have the opportunity to ask questions and engage in experiential learning exercises that will help them deepen their understanding of this rich spiritual tradition. By the end of the workshop participants will have a foundational understanding of Kashmir Shaivism and some practical techniques for integrating its teachings into their spiritual practice.
Ācārya Dr. Sthaneshwar Timalsina Dr. Timalsina holds a Ph.D. in Classical Indian Philosophy, with a specialization in Advaita Vedanta, Currently serving as a Professor at San Diego State University since 2014, Dr. Timalsina has taught an Dr. Timalsina's proficiency in languages is equally impressive. He is a native speaker of Nepali, fluent in Sanskrit, English, and Hindi, and possesses command in translating Prakrit, Maithili, and Bhojpuri into English.
Founder, Vimarsha Foundation, USA
from Martin Luther Universität in Halle, Germany.In addition to his formal education, he has undergone 20 years of private training in various schools of Indian philosophy, literature, and theology, further enriching his knowledge and expertise.
impressive array of courses, encompassing 43 different subjects across four departments at six different universities. Throughout his academic career, he has developed 32 new courses, highlighting his commitment to innovative and comprehensive education.
Ācārya Dr. Sthaneshwar Timalsina
Dr. Timalsina holds a Ph.D. in Classical Indian Philosophy, with a specialization in Advaita Vedanta,
Currently serving as a Professor at San Diego State University since 2014, Dr. Timalsina has taught an
Dr. Timalsina's proficiency in languages is equally impressive. He is a native speaker of Nepali, fluent in Sanskrit, English, and Hindi, and possesses command in translating Prakrit, Maithili, and Bhojpuri into English.
Session 1: Historical and Philosophical Background
– Introduction to Kashmir Shaivism as a philosophical system
– Historical context and evolution of Kashmir Shaivism
– Key concepts and terminology
Session 2: Shaiva Tantra and the Concept of Shakti
– An introduction to Shaiva Tantra
– The concept of Shakti as the creative life force
– Practices for awakening and harnessing the power of Shakti
Session 3: The Role of the Guru and Spiritual Practices
– Understanding the role of the guru in Kashmir Shaivism
– The importance of spiritual practices (such as meditation and mantra)
– Specific practices for deepening your spiritual journey
Session 4: Living a Tantric Lifestyle
– How to integrate tantric philosophy and practices into daily life
– Balancing spiritual practices with everyday responsibilities
– Understanding the path of Kashmir Shaivism as a means for personal transformation
By the end of the workshop participants will be able to:
– Understand the key principles and concepts of Kashmir Shaivism
– Identify the practices and rituals associated with Kashmir Shaivism
– Learn how to integrate Kashmir Shaivism into daily life
– Develop a spiritual practice that aligns with Kashmir Shaivism
– Recognize the role of the guru and sacred space in Kashmir Shaivism
– Develop an understanding of Shaiva Tantra and the concept of Shakti